Failing Marks for Clay Projects

This is one of those blog entries that I am not terribly proud to post.  I have been working with clay over the past two months and the results have been mostly disastrous.

I first built a coil-construction pot and attempted to fire it in a bonfire.  When I placed the bowl in a metal pot and put it in the fire, the metal disintegrated and subsequently the bowl.

I then tried to make a half-bowl dog-head effigy that could be mounted to the wall.  I figured it might be delicate so I used a portland cement wash on the inside to give it greater structural support.   When I dampened the outside of the bowl in order to apply color, fissures started to appear and the half bowl eventually Humpty-dumptied.

After failure, I visited the Katzen Arts Center where I saw this:

Well, if nothing else it gave me the sense that a talentless ceramicist still can do okay in the art game.

My latest foray with unfired clay is below.   It’s an outside mobile made of vintage yoke/barn pulley weighted with a clay/coir slab and a basic anatomical figure.

I’m not sure what to do with it at this stage. For the time being I will leave it to the elements, and probably to my record of clay ephemera.

After last night’s wind the slab of clay remains mysteriously intact!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *